Friday, January 9, 2009

Of Enoch and Long Walks Devotion

I get the Proverbs 31 daily devotions in my email. Some days I read them. Sometimes I don't. This morning I was prompted to read it. and share it with you all. I hope I'm not copyright infringing. I did put at the bottom, rights reserved to this author.
As I was reading, my heart was listening, then she said my phrase! Watch for it. I giggled. That was him winking at me.
Let's see how it resonates with you.
"Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away." Genesis 5:24 (NIV)Do you have a favorite Bible character? One who inspires you, challenges you or one whose story you simply love? Perhaps it is Moses and his vast leadership skills. How about Esther, the compelling queen who, being both gorgeous and smart, used her quick thinking to help God save an entire nation? Maybe Joseph is your pick as you contemplate how someone so mistreated could continually take the high road; the road that lead him not only to political power but also to family forgiveness. All of these are marvelous choices, but none are my pick. I like Enoch.Since first hearing of Enoch as a young teen, that guy has fascinated me. Not a lot is written about him in the pages of scripture, but what is there sure piques my interest. He "walked with God and then he was no more because God took him away." Hmmm. My young mind pondered that strange description.As I grew as a believer, I learned a bit more about this biblical mystery man. In Hebrews 11:5-6 we catch more of the story. "By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (NIV)Ah ha! Enoch was whisked away, spared the pain of death and transported immediately to God's side all because of one simple thing. He pleased God. I say simple. But I don't say easy. It is a simple thing to please God. You just do what He says in His word. Straightforward enough, right? However, my years as a follower of Christ have taught me that simple is not always easy. Choices present themselves. The world screams. Our flesh gets in the way. We want revenge or our own glory. We lack faith and instead try to control our own destinies. We mess up the "pleasin' God" part with our very own hands.Enoch "walked with God." Oh, don't we long for that to be said of us? I'll admit I don't always walk with God. I take a stand for God; believe the right things and make it known. I may walk after God. And sadly, sometimes I run ahead of God; make my own plans and then say, "Oh yeah. By the way God, do ya mind blessin' these plans? I made them in Your name. I may have forgotten to consult You in the midst of them, but they are for You all right!" What a shame and a sham!No two ways about it, walking with God means that we daily give up our right to navigate our own lives. We place our faith in Him, admitting He knows what is best for us and realizing He might not always reveal the hows and the whys until the very last second. Remember, God is seldom early, but never late. Only day-by-day faith-walking pleases God.Oh, dear one, do you long to be one who pleases God this way? One who makes Him smile as He sees you daily place complete trust in Him and His infinite wisdom? Maybe then we just might be like my Bible hero Enoch; the one who walked so closely by our Creator's side that one day, during one of those long walks, God looked at him and said, "You know, we've been walking together for so long now that we are actually closer to my house than yours. Why don't you just come on home with me right now?" Glory!!!Dear Lord, I am ready to learn to walk with You in faith; not ahead of You or behind You, but right by Your side. Show me how, step by step. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Application Steps
Do I run ahead of God or do I walk with Him? What actions (or inactions) would have to go in order for me to walk daily with God?
What keeps me from placing total faith in God and His will for my life? Fear? Distrust? A longing to be in control?
Power Verses
Psalm 84:11, "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." (NIV)
II Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight" (ESV)
© 2008 by Karen Ehman. All rights reserved.



If you would like to get these devotions in your email click on the link below.
http://www.proverbs31.org/dailydevotions/subscribe.php

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you passed this one on. I tend to run ahead of God at times, and even more than that - I thing I drag along behind. I wonder why God is doing the things He's doing and in my head I think my way is better. Writing it makes me realize how absolutely ridiculous that is, but I still do it. I love that thought of walking so long with God that we are closer to his place than our own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that last part about how it might could have happened: God just saying, "Hey, we're closer to my house than yours. Why don't you come home with ME?" AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
"Make it Known"