Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Eleanor's Apple Cake.

My grandma was known for her baking.
She and my mother would bake Christmas cookies with homemade cookie cutters made by my grandpa out of coffee cans.
One of my favorite easy recipes is her German apple cake.
I don't know why it's German, that's just what the recipe says.

Here is what you need:

Eleanor's Apple Cake
8x8 pan

Ingredients:
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups diced apples (about 2 honeycrisp, or granny smiths)

*1/2 cup walnuts*

Heat oven to 350*.
Grease and flour pan.
Beat egg. Add oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir with spoon. Add flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
I like to add the apples to the bottom of the pan and pour/spread mixture over them.
*Since I love nuts I add walnuts, and it's usually more then 1/2 cup. I sprinkle them on top of the mixture.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes, up to an hour depending on your oven. Do the toothpick test.
We like to top it with caramel sauce. (the stuff you buy for sundae topping)


Or if you are feeling adventurous make some of this...I made it for thanksgiving last year it was to die for!
Enjoy!
Oh, and feel free to double the recipe if you need a bigger batch, I never do because that means I eat more of it.

2 comments:

  1. this looks delicious!!!! I am going to have to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally JUST made this! I was given a ton of apples and had made cobbler, apple sauce, apple butter and was looking for a cake recipe. It came out great and I only wish I had noticed the maple bourbon sauce recipe earlier!!! I will be trying that for Thanksgiving for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
"Make it Known"