Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekend Warriors.

After a gloomy week, we had ourselves a divine weekend weather wise. I can't say it enough, Minnesota weather in the spring is unpredictable. We could have upper 60's or blizzards. This March we hit 80, twice! I'm 37, days away from 38 and that's never happened in my lifetime...Winter likes to remind us that it is still King/or Queen in these here parts.What I like about that is:
1) we all know that, so it's not a surprise...
2) Shorter allergy season! YES!
3) We really enjoy summer. Make the most of it, because it is such a short thing for us. (Summer can last from late June to October, if we are lucky, luckier it starts the end of May or early June, which it hardly ever does.)
Pools open Memorial day and close Labor day. Really nobody thinks of going until 4th of July...
4) There is a reason they call it March Madness and it has nothing to do with basketball. What it means to us is, if we can make it through all the sports stuff without snow, we done won the State Weather Championship ourselves!

The weekend started cooler then it's been, but still great. Friday I took my 15 year old niece to see The Hunger Games. I hated the directing, or more so the shot calling. Really jerky and up close and hard to get a sense of where you are and what the heck was going on. You never got to feel settled, and hey, maybe they thought that was a good thing since District 12 is so poor and starving. If you saw Blair Witch, it's like that. Annoying. I felt sick coming out of there and it wasn't from the gore. That was tamed down as much as you can considering what the story is about. For that I am grateful, you felt the nature of what was going on without feeling like you were covered in gore. The part I LOVED, was the story the movie told. The actors chosen for Katniss and Peeta were awesome! Jennifer Lawrence was superb, and Josh Hutcherson as Peeta was even better then the book made him. They were completely believable. My niece thinks Peeta/Josh is HOT! and wouldn't stop gushing about it. For me it was not so much his looks that are appealing but the way he showed who the character was, there for making you like him, root for him and yes, wish that if you'd had a boy love you like that you'd be one happy 16 year old.
It also set up nicely for the second movie, but not in a way that makes you think: Crap I have to wait a whole year before I get the next part?!?! (*cough* Twilight)
I am a ferocious reader. I love a good story. I switch off between things that are sappy (Nicholas Sparks, Kristin Hannah, to name a few) Heart pumping, action packed (Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series, I can not wait for this to become a movie!) Self-help, (Tedd Tripp, and My own Pastor Bob) to Biographies, and my favorites the Stellar Story Series (Harry Potter, Twilight & Hunger Games) I can re-read these stories again and again.
After the lengthy movie, 2 1/2 hrs, we had dinner at Olive Garden, some place she'd never been. Shocking, I know.
Saturday I  caught up on blog reading, which led to my posting, Sassurday...

Sunday was known as, 'If I don't get my room picked up and organized I will be grounded from doing anything fun...'  I give them a specific amount and after that I haul up the kitchen garbage can and anything left on the floor gets chucked, unless it's clothes, then those get confiscated and they have to wear what's left in their drawers which is usually the things they least want to wear...(For Roo that would be jeans and khaki's and button down shirts. The kid loves sweats and sports and Nike and Puma...For Butter it would be shirts of Jonas, or Hannah Montana that just aren't cool anymore to wear...)
I now refuse to buy those kind of shirts because it is a waste of money, she wears it until somebody at school says something like " Oh, you like________? They stink!" But I'm sure stink isn't the word they use...The shirt is never worn again and when I ask; "Where's that shirt I just bought?" She'll shrug and say "I'm wearing this today."
We spent 6 hours cleaning those rooms! Butter, invited a friend over before passing inspection and I ended up taking that kid right back home, only to have another friends Mother call to see what was going on since the 2 girls made plans with this one and the Mother was calling for details. She and I had a nice heart to heart about how important it is teaching our kids boundaries and having responsibilities, something the friend that came over doesn't have, which I hear endlessly about how "K doesn't have to clean her room." and "K doesn't have to do dishes." And "K can wear..."
Yeah well, I'm Not K's momma and mark my words when K hits the real world she's gonna look like a deer in headlights...
K is not my fan. She barely uttered a word while I drove her home, even though I was talking to her and asking her things. Her parents are really sweet people, but they are not doing her any favors. I can't wait to see where all this leads in 10 years.
If it's one thing I pray for these kids, besides health and safety, it's honest and reliable friends.
I was moved from school to school so much friendships were hard to maintain.
I find myself drawn to people on FacebookLOL
Have any of you watched GCB on Sunday nights? Hysterical!

On Sunday I got a call from the library telling me the book I requested was in...only when I went to pick it up this morning I was told it had a 10 day limit. What was I going to do in 10 days with this craft book! It takes that long to figure out which project you want to attempt and then another 30 actually making it! Or at least that is what it is for me anyway. I just handed it back and decided I'll hit the book store instead and print out some tutorials off Pinterest!
Happy Monday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about Hunger Games! The cameraman and/or director needs to be fired!! And I loved Peeta. I thought he played the role beautifully. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
"Make it Known"