Friday, October 19, 2012

Italian Tortellini Soup

 Because I've been asked a few times for this: 
ENJOY!


Italian Tortellini Soup

  • 1-1 1/2LB  Bulk Italian Sausage (your call hot or mild. I'm a wimp, we use mild. Hubs hots his up with red pepper flakes)
  • 1 medium Onion (chopped)
  • 6 cups low sodium Beef broth (trust me you won't miss the salt)
  • 1 15oz can of Tomato sauce. (I use about 1/2 can water to clean out all the goodies in the can. Add that right in.)
  • 2 14 1/2oz cans of Diced Tomatoes (I use petite, I prefer the little bits)
  • 1 medium Green Pepper (chopped, again I go petite)
  • 1 cup sliced Carrot
  • 1 Zucchini chopped 
  • 1/2-1 tsp Basil
  • 1/2-1 tsp Oregano
  • 1-2 tbsp Parsley
  • 8oz package of Cheese Tortellini
  • Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Here is where I can go OCD; I like all my veggies to be about the same size. Do whatever you want, I like how my soup looks with everything small, plus you get more stuff on the spoon...know what I'm saying?


Let's get started...
Brown and drain Italian Sausage
Saute onions, carrots and peppers.
Now, you can either start early and transfer to a crockpot, cooking all day on low; making your house smell AMAZING.
Or
You can start later and let simmer on stove for 20 minutes(+20 minutes for Tortellini to cook).
Just don't skip the saute part...add some garlic if you are feeling feisty!
To you pot add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the Tortellini and Parmesan cheese.
If you like your soup more soupy, add water or more broth. 
It's soup not rocket science, except for the chopping...:0)
Add the Tortellini the final 20 minutes.
If you'd like, garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy with a nice crusty bread.
Soup can be frozen, but ONLY before the Tortellini has been added. 
Okay, go make it!
Come back and thank me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!
"Make it Known"