Thursday, September 23, 2010

Things my kid says...

I recently heard of a family whose son was very ill. He had meningitis, and his parents had to make the heart-wrenching decision to turn off the machines that were keeping him alive. We were talking about Cade over dinner, talking about how things happen and we have no control over them or idea that they are coming, but we have to rely on our FAITH and in God, that it's His plan, not ours.
Butter was very upset with the fact that the family had to decide to turn off the machines. She didn't really understand that it was the machines keeping Cade alive and that he would only BE alive as long as he stayed there in the hospital; hooked up to the machines. That his brain stopped working.
It isn't an easy thing to talk about, but we have Roo and you see, this little boy is so very smart. This was what he took away from it.
"So the body is like a car right Mom? And the car needs gas. And our bodies have gas right? The food we eat. I'll eat more helffy (healthy) stuff Mom, I promise. And a car needs to have oil because the engine wouldn't work without oil.  And our bloods our oil right? Cars need a key to start, if the car has no key it doesn't go."
"It won't go without the key no buddy."
"So his brain is the key then, and his body won't go without his brain?"
"That's right Roo."
He sat there quiet for a long time and let that sink in, after a bit he jumped down and left the table. I asked: "Where are you going?"
He said "Out to the car Mom, I'm gonna go honk the horn cause that's what you do Mom, you honk the horn when somebodies car doesn't work right. (He's remembering when I honk at people for not driving properly) I'm gonna honk it for Cade, cause his car doesn't work anymore."

I can not imagine the pain that this family is facing right now. I don't know them, I've never met Cade, but I have a friend whose life was touched by this boy. Would you do me a favor and say a prayer for this family, and if you feel like it, toot your horn for Cade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!
"Make it Known"